Lakshmi Manchu enters B-Town

Actor Lakshmi Manchu, daughter of Mohan Babu, who is making her Bollywood debut opposite actor Sanjay Dutt in Ram Gopal Verma’s Department, is very excited about the way her career is shaping up.
She says, “The movie is turning out to be very nice and working with Ramu is a wonderful learning experience. I started shooting for the film a few days ago and it has been more fun because it has Rana, who is a good friend of mine.”
About working with Sanjay Dutt, she says, “My dad and his dad were good friends so they would meet often. I grew up seeing him work, so being paired with him in a movie is amazing. He has been showing me his tattoos, he has so many of them and my favourite one is the Shiva on his left hand.”
About her role, she says, “My role in the movie is close to what I am in real life. I don’t have the traditional look like in my other movies. I am looking very funky in the film.”
When asked why she decided to make it as an actress in her late 20s, she says, “I have been acting in America for 10 years, but here in India people are seeing me now. I don’t believe in luck, I believe in hard work. When I wasn’t shooting for films in America I used to travel across Oklahoma looking for opportunities to work in theatre, and made short films instead of just waiting around. Many people do not work on their acting skills. They think pretty eyes can make them an actor. But knowing the subject is very important. Any film-maker likes to cast someone who knows the subject.”
“Ramu didn’t choose me because I am someone’s daughter, but he thought I would suit the role in Department,” she says.
She also added, “Many people think the career of an actress is between the ages of 16 years to 25 years only, but that’s a wrong conception.”
On juggling between the US and India, she says, “I go to the US every three months or whenever I can find the time. My husband Andy also keeps coming here to spend time with me. It’s unfair of me to ask Andy to settle here in India as he has lived his whole life there.”
She concludes saying, “I am very excited about Department. I hope this project would give me a break into Bollywood.”
The actor, who also believes in fostering strong ties between different film industries, recently signed Sonu Sood for her home production. The film, which stars Balakrishna and Manoj Manchu, also boasts of the most expensive set ever in Tollywood.